Tuesday 26 March 2013

Lombok trip – Prologue

Normally the promo fare is ultra cheap when an airline launch a new destination. I was tempted when Air Asia launch flight from KL to Lombok. I always plan to travel during public holiday and I managed to book cheap airtix for the Good Friday holiday. Air Asia fly from KL to Lombok on Wed, Fri and Sun hence the best combination is to fly on Wed and return on Sun. This means I only have to apply 2 days leave to enjoy this 5 days holiday.

This trip will be exclusively hubby & me. Hubby has complained that we have not gone for a couple trip for quite a long time and this was one of the reason why I choose Lombok cos it's meant to be a rest and relax trip.

The airticket starts from RM88 per way and costs RM154 ~ S$63 for a return ticket. Ironically, the air ticket from Singapore to KL cost $102 which is almost twice of the ticket to Lombok. Currently only Silkair flies directly from Singapore to Lombok and round trip ticket cost around S$360 which is more than twice the fare of a return trip from SIN->KL->Lombok.

The first flight from Singapore only land in KL LCCT at 7.30am and 1hr is not sufficient for clearing the immigration and checking in for the Lombok flight. Hence I have to fly to KL the night before and stay at KL LCCT tune hotel. One night stay cost RM126 ~ S$52 without those add on.

Lombok is part of the Lesser Sunda island separated from Bali by the Lombok Straits. Lombok is often regarded as an unspoiled, quieter version of its closest neighbour. Unlike the Hindu Balinese, majority of the locals are Muslim. Lombok has a land area of 4,725km2 which is 6 times bigger than Singapore. The Gilis islands northwest of Lombok are very popular diving destinations due to the abundance of fish life and attractive coral formations. Mount Rinjani in Lombok is the 2nd highest volcano in Indonesia and the 3rd highest mountain in Indonesia. Normally it takes 2D1N or 3D2N to trek up to the summit hence I didnt include it in this trip.
Map of Lombok (Source: Lonely Planet)

I have booked 4 nights at Qunci Villas which is located at Senggigi as it received numerous good reviews in tripadvisor. I wanted to book the ocean view room but they are fully booked. In the end, I settled for the garden view room which cost USD105++ and includes breakfast. Qunci Villas is located near the beachfront and has 3 swimming pools inside the compound.

As this is meant to be a free & easy trip, I don't intend to spend too much time doing research. Well, this is one of the least research and almost last minute booking trip (I booked the hotel & driver 2-3 weeks before the trip). Luckily it's off peak season in Lombok now otherwise I'll have difficulties in booking. I have shortlisted those places which I wanted to visit and then research on a recommended driver from tripadvisor. Eko (email: ekomangsit@yahoo.com, contact: +6281805711190) received many positive reviews and I emailed to enquire without any hesitation. Eko reply is fast and he even ask me to Watsapp him for enquiries which makes it even more convenient! Eko rate is not cheap compared to the driver whom I engaged in Bali, I asked for discount since I'll be booking his service for 3 days. He quoted IDR600,000 for the 1st day and IDR700,000 for the subsequent 2 days after discount. That's all the homework that I'll be doing for this trip. 

Itinerary for this trip: 
Day 1: Arrive in KL @ 10.50pm 
Day 2: Reach Lombok @ 11.45am, Kuta beach, Tanjung A’an beach, Pura Lingsar Temple Day 3: Malimbu hill, Sindanggile waterfall, Tiu Kelep waterfall, Pura Batu Bolong 
Day 4: Snorkeling @ Gili islands 
Day 5: Rest and relax at Qunci hotel 
Day 6: Depart @ 12.15pm 

Budget for the trip is S$700: 
- S$15 for departure tax 
- S$300 for accommodation 
- S$150 for transport 
- S$5 for admission 
- S$180 for meals 
- S$50 for others

No comments: