Monday 21 January 2013

Vientiane trip – Epilogue

A lot of people have commented that Vientiane is a capital which don't resemble a capital. I can fully understand it after this trip. The traffic is not heavy compared to Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur etc and I feel as if I'm in a town instead. Vientiane is relatively small compared to other capitals in ASEAN. Most of the attractions are within walking distance and for some attractions which are further from the town center can be reach by taking a tuk tuk. It's safe to walk along the road and surprisingly there are no beggars at all even though Laos is one of the poorest country in ASEAN.

The weather in the morning during winter season is like being in an aircon room and in the afternoon the weather is almost the same as Singapore. The breeze blowing in the afternoon while taking a tuk tuk is quite cooling though.

I feel as if I'm in Thailand when I hear Laotian speaks. Their language sounds similar to Thais but I don't understand a single word. Lao's food is also a bit spicy. I don't find that Laos food is particularly delicious. Laab a national dish is not as nice as what I imagine. French food is relatively common in Vientiane as Laos was colonized by France in the past.

I have visited all the attractions in Vientiane except Buddha Park and the spa at Wat Sok Pa Luang. Hence, I probably use Vientiane as a stopover to Luang Prabang or Vang Vieng if I revisit Laos in the future

No comments: